Sunday, June 7, 2020

The Guinevere Deception

The Guinevere Deception

By: Kiersten White


First of all, wow. Just wow. This book- I am speechless. 

Awe GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

The Guinevere Deception is perfect for fans of the old stories of King Arthur and the knights of Camelot. However, it tells the age-old tales with a twist never before seen. Taking place in an incredible fantasy world, this book is the perfect mix of action and suspense, with just a dash of romance to keep you on your toes. Now to the description: 

Amazon.com: The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising Trilogy ...Magic has been banned from Camelot, and with it Merlin, the kingdom's greatest defender against magical threats. In order to continue to protect Arthur and Camelot, Merlin sends his daughter, pretending to be the foreign princess Guinevere, to marry Arthur. Guinevere must protect Arthur and Camelot, but in a kingdom praised for its order and justice, there are many secrets for Guinevere to unravel, including the secret of who she truly is. 

This book was great. First of all, I loved how Kiersten White took the familiar stories of Camelot and twisted them so that they were almost unrecognizable. I knew the world and I knew the people, but at the same time they were all incredibly different. Second, the plot twist. I did not see it coming and I was shook. You have to understand, I read a LOT of books, to the point where I can generally predict plot twists so when I don't see a plot twist coming, I know that the book is very special and unique. And this plot twist- pure genius. Low key, it probably should have been predictable but the way that White tells the rest of the story leading up to it, it becomes totally unexpected. Actually, come to think of it, there were quite of few unexpected twists. But you know what they say: the more the merrier. And lastly (although there are many many more reasons to like the book beyond the ones touched on here), I loved how the book did not center around romance. Sure, there were hints of it here and there, but the reason this book was so unique was that Guinevere's story didn't revolve around Arthur. Kiersten White weaves an engaging story without having to introduce a love interest. Instead, she focuses on Guinevere's quest to find herself, and the friendships and connections she makes along the way. White included love in this novel, just not the kind that is most common in novels of this genre. 

Muffled Happy GIF - Muffled Happy Surprise - Discover & Share GIFsThe only thing I didn't like about this book is that the REST OF THE SERIES ISN'T OUT YET. I just about died when I finished the book because I had this epic theory and I was so sure I was right but THEN the book ENDED. AND the last paragraph of the book contradicted my theory and now I am DECEASED!! I JUST WANT THE NEXT BOOK TO COME OUT ALREADY!! 
November 10th can't come soon enough....

No comments:

Post a Comment