Monday, August 22, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

So, as some of you may have noticed- summer is almost over. And by that I mean that it is. I'm going back to school tomorrow and some people probably went back to school today. This means that my freedom is gone. Swoosh! Out the window! I'm not ready for school!!! It feels like summer just started!!! But you're not reading this blog to hear (read) me talk about how I don't want to go to school. You are reading this to find out about a book.

In the spirit of going back to school, I'm going to write about the new Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child where we journey back to Hogwarts with Harry's son Albus.

Interesting Fact: This book came out on July 31st which just so happens to be Harry Potter's birthday.

I know a common misconception is that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is a book. It's not. It's a script. Just be prepared for that. JK Rowling wrote the 8th installment of Harry Potter in a play format, but because not everyone can watch a play, she decided to publish the script.


Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Courtesy of Goodreads.
The play is about Albus Potter and how he doesn't want to be Harry Potter's son. Albus and Harry have many problems and they just can't connect with each other very well. When Albus hears about how his father just watched while Cedric Diggory was murdered, he decides to right his father's wrongs without knowing many of the details. Albus journeys into the past with his friend Scorpius Malfoy, in effort of saving Cedric. However, things go terribly wrong and with every attempt to fix it, things just spiral further out of control. Meanwhile, Harry is trying to improve his relationship with Albus but to no avail. Read the book to find out if Albus can fix the present after messing with the past and if Harry and Albus can finally move past their differences and be regular old dad with a regular old son.

Right so I absolutely LOVE Harry Potter, but if I'm being honest this "book" was not one of the better books that I have read. I don't know if it is because it is in a play format or because I had really high expectations for it but it was a little disappointing. Many of the iconic characters were, I guess different. Harry Potter defeated Voldemort many times as a child, but as an adult he can't talk to his son. It's kind of pathetic. Also Ron's character was ruined. He jokes all the time and can't take anything seriously. Hermione wasn't the same either. The character that stayed the closest the original was probably Draco Malfoy and Scorpius Malfoy was (in my opinion) the best developed. The book doesn't mention Luna, George, Bill, Molly and Arthur, and  barely mentions Neville, Hagrid and the rest of Harry's children. In fact, I think it mentions Hermione and Ron's youngest child all of once.

All in all, I'm sure the play is much better than the script and if you are a Harry Potter fan like me I still think you should read this book. There are some interesting twists but it could have been better. It's probably because JK wasn't the only author. Don't let this post discourage you if you haven't read the book yet. After all, Scorpius Malfoy is AMAZING!!! Haha, but that's not the only reason you should read the book. You should read it because script or not it is still the 8th installment of the Harry Potter series!
(Also, like I said before, it's probably better than I say it is. I'm just biased because I had sky-high expectations)

In other Harry Potter news, the movie for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is coming out in November. Yay! Also JK Rowling is writing 3 new eBooks (only eBooks) that are coming out this September! Check out this link for more information: New Harry Potter eBooks

You might have noticed that I changed the title of my blog. Let me know what you think. That's it for now! See you next time!

Oh, I almost forgot- if you read this book and want to know my opinion on the ending just let me know in the comments and I would love to tell you.


No comments:

Post a Comment