Thursday, August 11, 2016

Summer Books

Hi, guys, sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've just been really busy this summer and since I haven't posted in a while, I've read a lot of books. Also, blogger keeps glitching so I've had to rewrite this post or parts of this post multiple times. I had this ready like a month ago and it was really nice and had a picture of every book mentioned but it didn't save and I have already spent way too much time working on this. As it is I'm just going to name a few books and give some basic information about each book- unless I really really liked it. Also not many pictures because half of them don't cooperate well and it takes a while to get them in the right place. Hopefully it actually saves/publishes this time. Ready, let's go-

Trials of Apollo:
The Hidden Oracle (The Trials of Apollo, #1)This is Rick Riordan's latest book. In it, Zeus has made the god Apollo a mere mortal and sent him to Earth. To become a god again, Apollo has to successfully complete dangerous tasks- the trials. With the help of his friends, Apollo must find out who is kidnapping the campers and return them to Camp Half-Blood. I strongly recommend reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and the Heroes of Olympus series before reading this book.

Isle of the Lost/Return to the Isle of the Lost:
These to books are basically the prequel and the sequel to the Disney movie The Descendants. That's what I think at least- I haven't actually seen The Descendants yet- oops! ;D It is not necessary to watch the Disney movie to read these books (after all, I did it). At the beginning of Return to the Isle of the Lost the author explains what happens during the movie. At least I assume so, again I haven't seen it so don't quote me on this.

The Da Vinci Code
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)I really enjoyed this book. It took a while for the book to capture my attention, more so than other books, but it was definitely worth it. 
Basically, this symbologist Robert Langdon is accused for the murder of a museum curator whose body is found in a strange position with strange symbols nearby. Langdon and cryptologist Sophie Neveu must follow the clues through the streets of Paris from works of Da Vinci to faraway cathedrals to find the truth before it's too late. Racing the police and a mysterious person who is also following the clues, Langdon and Neveu travel through the streets of Paris learning startling secrets including those about the mysterious secret society the Priory of Sion.
Okay I didn't do a great job explaining that book... For those of you that have read the 39 clues series, it is kind of like that but for adults. I think one of the reasons that I like this book so much is that about a week after finishing the book my family went to Paris (one of the reasons I haven't posted), so I got to see so many things referenced in the book and look for the secrets mentioned in it. Also it's ingenious to see how Dan Brown connected everything and came up with the riddles and how everything ties together so well. Wow, I literally just said the same thing twice in one sentence.
The Da Vinci Code is the second book in a series but I didn't know that until today and I personally don't think it makes a difference if you read this book before the first book, but just for those of you who want to read the first book first it is called Angles and Demons. I strongly recommend this book to everyone, but especially to people who enjoy mysteries and treasure hunts. Oh, and I almost forgot, there is a plot twist at the end that I just didn't see coming!

See How They Run:
This is book number 2 in the Embassy Row series by Ally Carter. I kept planning on writing a post about book number 1 All Fall Down but it never happened sadly. Both books are really good and both have plot twists. In the first book, Grace returns to Embassy Row. It has now been 3 years since she witnessed her mother's death. Her grandfather is the US ambassador to Adria which is now her new home. For 3 years Grace has been yelling that her mother's death wasn't an accident as believed. The Scarred Man killed her mother, but no one believes her. They just send her to more doctors, more pills, more therapists, everyone believes she is crazy, but Grace knows the truth. So when the Scarred Man appears in Adria, Grace knows she has to do something. With the help of her friends Grace finally manages to uncover the truth of what happened the night her mother died- once and for all. In the second book in this series, someone is killed and everyone blames Alexei. In order to protect him, Grace and her friends must get to the bottom of who or what killed the person in question whose name I can't disclose due to spoiling. While finding out the truth, Grace uncovers a secret that contradicts everything she though she knew about herself and her family.

We Were Liars:
We Were LiarsThis is a book about Cadence Sinclair Eastman who is a part of the beautiful Sinclair Family. This family owns a a private island and every year all the aunts and the uncles and cousins go there during summer. One year Cadence gets into a terrible accident and doesn't remember what happened. She now gets terrible migraines. The next Cadence doesn't return to the island. When Cadence finally returns to the island 2 years after her accident many things have changed. The book is about Cadence reclaiming her life while figuring out just what happened that summer.


Okay, this post was sooo much better before. What happened was that I had it all typed up and I added all the pictures and it looked so nice, but when I tried to publish it, it didn't work. I decided to just publish it later but when I pulled it back up to publish half of the post was gone along with all the pictures. It didn't save! So it's not as nice as it was before and neither are the descriptions of the books so sorry. I'm also sorry that I haven't posted all summer even though I've been planning to. Anyway, I hope you still enjoyed this post and you should definitely search the books up because they are good.

PS. I finally watched the Disney Movie the Descendants. The story of the movie is in between the books as I stated above. Also, the (in my opinion) the movie is super cheesy and the books are better.

Pictures courtesy of Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment